Thursday, April 24, 2014

Routes and Roots


While meeting with Margy yesterday the idea of roots (where I am from) and routes (where I have been and where I am going) came up. I have been reflecting on this a lot today, especially as I am returning to the land of my Great-Great-grandparents in South West Scotland while I am on this side of the planet.
Since arriving in Corby, I have heard of the rich Scottish connection and how many people came to Corby in the 40's and 50's to work here. People at the laundrette were really friendly and gave me a history lesson while my clothes washed and dried.
My family emigrated from Scotland to New Zealand in the late 1800's to find prosperity and make a new start - for much the same reasons people from Scotland came to Corby as I understand it. There is a Scottish connection that I find intriguing. For many years I have anticipated coming to Pen Green - it has been on my bucket list for a while (up there with Reggio Emilia) not realizing the strong connection to Scotland. This blows my mind!! Roots and Routes for sure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment